[mtnclimb@gmail.com: Fwd: Self-intersecting polygon gives ST_IsSimple=true]

Sandro Santilli-3
----- Forwarded message from Martin Davis <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 10:13:49 -0700
From: Martin Davis <[hidden email]>
To: Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]>
Subject: Fwd: [postgis-users] Self-intersecting polygon gives ST_IsSimple=true
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Davis <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: [postgis-users] Self-intersecting polygon gives
ST_IsSimple=true
To: Jukka Rahkonen <[hidden email]>, PostGIS Users Discussion
<[hidden email]>, Martin Davis <[hidden email]>

The confusion arises from obsolete Javadoc on the IsSimpleOp class.  In
fact the IsSimpleOp code DOES check polygons for self-intersecting rings,
as stated in the Geometry#isSimple Javadoc.

What happened is that IsSimpleOp was enhanced (in SVN r662 Sept 2012) to
check for polygonal self-intersection, but the class Javadoc was not
updated at that time.

The reasons that IsSimple accepts polygonal input are:

- it is very desirable to allow geometry operations to accept ALL geometry
types, so that explicit type checks are not required by clients
- The IsSimple code was extended to perform a useful function for
polygons.  IsSimple computes a location of a a self-intersection point, so
this can be used with polygons as well as lines (e.g. for visualization
purposes).

To sum up:  the semantics and the Geometry#isSimple Javadoc are correct as
stands.  The class Javadoc for IsSimpleOp needs to be fixed.

----- End forwarded message -----

--

  ()   Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer
  /\   https://strk.kbt.io/services.html