Unable to import shapefile using Shapefile to PostGIS Importer

Unable to import shapefile using Shapefile to PostGIS Importer

Smaran Harihar
Hi I am trying to import shapefile into the Postgres database that I created in PGAdmin3 using the Shapefile to PostGIS Importer and despite the connection being successful I am receiving the following error,

Connection: host=localhost port=5432 user=admin dbname=shpRepo password='**********'
Destination: public.AllQuebecSpecies
Source File: /home/smaranh/development/Biodiversity/biodiversity/shapefile/AllQuebecSpecies
Shapefile type: Point
Postgis type: POINT[2]
Failed SQL begins: "SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO UTF8;
SET STANDARD_CONFORMING_STRINGS TO ON;
BEGIN;
CREATE TABLE "public"."AllQuebecSpecies" (gid serial PRIMARY KEY,
"family" varchar(50),
"species" varchar(50));
SELECT AddGeometryColumn('public','AllQuebecSpecies','the_geom','-1"
Failed in pgui_exec(): ERROR:  function addgeometrycolumn(unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, integer) does not exist
LINE 7: SELECT AddGeometryColumn('public','AllQuebecSpecies','the_ge...
               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.

Shapefile import failed.

Also I am new to PostGIS and Postgres so this might sound very dumb question but if I create a new database in pgadmin3, is it postgres database or postgis db? If it is postgres db then probably that is why shape file is not able to be imported since it can only be imported into PostGIS db (i think). So how can i convert a Postgres db to PostGIS?

--
Thanks & Regards
Smaran Harihar

Re: Unable to import shapefile using Shapefile toPostGIS Importer

Regina Obe-2
Smaran,

This error usually happens for one of 2 reasons
1) You are trying to import into a database that is not PostGIS enabled
2) You installed PostGIS in a schema other than public and did not add that schema to your search_path.
(this you can fix by adding the schema to your database search path -- pgAdmin has it under variables, or you can run something like

ALTER DATABASE set search_path=public,the_schema_you_installed_postgis_in

To verify one of these is the issue run this command:

SELECT postgis_full_version();

If it fails one of the above is usually the reason.
Couple of comments to answer your questions
1) You shouldn't have postgis installed in your postgres database.
2) You can install postgis in as many databases as you want

If you are on PostgreSQL 9.1 and are running PostGIS 2.0 just run the SQL statement

CREATE EXTENSION postgis;

in the database you want to install it in.

If you are in a lower database or lower PostGIS
you can create a new database and use template_postgis or template_postgis20 as your template.

Hope that helps,
Regina

Re: Unable to import shapefile using Shapefile toPostGIS Importer

Smaran Harihar
Hi,

Ok so should I run

SELECT postgis_full_version();

in terminal or PSQL console? When I run it in the PSQL console I am getting no error but in the terminal I get this error,

-su: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Also, I forgot to add this in the previous mail, but I created a datasource testdb in pgadmin3 and then created PostGIS database shpRepo. These were the parameters,

Datasource name: testdb
database: shpRepo
schema: public

These are the parameters set in the Geoserver.

Thanks & Regards,
Smaran Harihar