Re: Make "master" branch also available as "main"

Re: Make "master" branch also available as "main"

Sandro Santilli-3
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 01:18:20AM +0300, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
> Hey, the point of the thing is not to add a thing called "main" but to get
> rid ot the thing called "master" which your plan fails to accomplish. If we
> go there, go all-in.

I know what's the plan, but "go all-in" takes time.
I'm just offering a way to keep things working in the meanwhile.

--strk;

Re: Make "master" branch also available as "main"

Sandro Santilli-3
Following up on this, as some time has passed since I did the soft
launch on GEOS, today I've done the soft launch on PostGIS as well.

What I did:

  - Make the default branch "main"
  - Turn "master" into an alias for "main"
  - Configure gitlab/github CI bots to skip building from "master"
    (it'd be a duplicated build)
  - Change CI badges in README.md (of main branch) to reference the
    "main" branch
  - Change WIKI CI badges to reference the "main" branch

The simplest way to get your local git clones to switch to the
main branch is:

  git pull && git checkout main # and stop using master...

--strk;