PostGis Client

Joel da Silva

hello friends,

somebody knows some postgis client that have a  SQL interface allowing the
user send ad hoc
 queries to the database server and graphically display the results?

I have installed some client applications, such as JUMP, QGIS, openmap,
but none of these tools performs ad hoc queries.

 somebody can help me?

thanks for your attention
best regards
joel

Re: PostGis Client

Chris Hodgson
You can easily use mapserver to create a web application that lets you
do this. Also, I know that if you have any Java skills, it isn't too
hard to write a plugin for JUMP that will do this... But it would appear
that unfortunately there is no "out of the box" tool for this, at the
moment.

Chris

Joel da Silva wrote:

> hello friends,
>
> somebody knows some postgis client that have a  SQL interface allowing the
> user send ad hoc
>  queries to the database server and graphically display the results?
>
> I have installed some client applications, such as JUMP, QGIS, openmap,
> but none of these tools performs ad hoc queries.
>
>  somebody can help me?
>
> thanks for your attention
> best regards
> joel

Re: PostGis Client

Paul Ramsey
DATA "the_geom from (%sql%) using srid = -1 using unique gid"

I leave the rest of the Mapserver application as an exercise to the
reader. I will be covering this and more in my PostGIS workshop at
OSGIS2005 in a months time, for all interested.

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mum/mtg2005.html

Paul

Joel da Silva wrote:

> hello friends,
>
> somebody knows some postgis client that have a  SQL interface allowing the
> user send ad hoc
>  queries to the database server and graphically display the results?
>
> I have installed some client applications, such as JUMP, QGIS, openmap,
> but none of these tools performs ad hoc queries.
>
>  somebody can help me?
>
> thanks for your attention
> best regards
> joel

Re: PostGis Client

Markus Schaber-7
Hi, Joel,

Joel da Silva wrote:

> somebody knows some postgis client that have a  SQL interface allowing the
> user send ad hoc
>  queries to the database server and graphically display the results?
>
> I have installed some client applications, such as JUMP, QGIS, openmap,
> but none of these tools performs ad hoc queries.

Create an SQL view for your ad-hoc query, and add an appropriate entry
in geometry_columns table for your view. Then every client should be
able to display this view.

If you want to change the query, you can use 'CREATE OR REPLACE' to
modify the view in place.

Markus