Newbie - Help with PGRouting

Benjamin Orpilla

Hi all,

I am new at using PostGreSQL/PostGIS. I am wanting to run a routing analysis and found the documentation at the PGRouting site with links to downloads here. However, I am overwhelmed by the number of build and what to actually download and install on my machine. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Benjie

Benjamin Orpilla
Asset Information Manager
New Zealand

M | +64277068599
E | [hidden email]

133 Main South Rd
Dunedin

www.downergroup.co.nz
www.downercareers.co.nz

   Think before you print

Note:

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any such mis-transmission or error.

Downer reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Downer includes Downer New Zealand Limited and Hawkins 2017 Limited and their related and associated companies.
This email has been filtered by SMX. For more information visit smxemail.com

Re: Newbie - Help with PGRouting

Daniel Kastl-3
Hi Benjie,

Which URL are you referring to?
It's good to get some feedback like this. Maybe we can show the essential information prominently.

What you need to install depends mainly on your operating system.
Are you using Windows?

Best regards,
Daniel

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 5:30 AM, Benjamin Orpilla <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I am new at using PostGreSQL/PostGIS. I am wanting to run a routing analysis and found the documentation at the PGRouting site with links to downloads here. However, I am overwhelmed by the number of build and what to actually download and install on my machine. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Benjie

Benjamin Orpilla
Asset Information Manager
New Zealand

M | <a href="tel:+64%2027%20706%208599" value="+64277068599" target="_blank">+64277068599
[...]

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: [hidden email]
Web: https://georepublic.info

Re: Newbie - Help with PGRouting

Joshua Chamberlain
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Benjamin Orpilla <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I am new at using PostGreSQL/PostGIS. I am wanting to run a routing analysis and found the documentation at the PGRouting site with links to downloads here. However, I am overwhelmed by the number of build and what to actually download and install on my machine. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Benjie

Are you familiar with Docker? In my opinion, that's the easiest way to get started with PostGIS and pgRouting. Using the starefossen/pgrouting image, start Postgres like so:

$ docker run --name pg -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=mysecretpassword -d starefossen/pgrouting

That will run in the background, at which point you can connect using psql like this:

$ docker exec -it pg psql -U postgres

You won't have any data in your database, but PostGIS+pgRouting are otherwise ready to go. Do you have a dataset you want to use?

(Of course if you don't already know Docker, this might just make the rabbit hole deeper.)

Regards,
Joshua Chamberlain