Maps and geocoding for Australia

Stephen Woodbridge
Hi all,

Apologies for the cross posting.

Over the past month or so I have been playing with OpenData for
Australia. This is a work in progress, but I thought some of you might
be interested.

## Maps
http://imaptools.com:8080/demo/australia.html

    394 australia-10m-map.inc
   3663 australia-250k-map.inc
    423 australia-2.5m-map.inc
    190 australia.map
    705 etc/symbols.txt
   5375 total

I want to revist the mapfile at some point and build a non-topo version
with simplifed styling. The mapfile is ready for use with mapcache and
I'll enable that at some point, but at the moment its draw on demand. It
took a lot of work to get the Topo map styled to their standards.
Unfortunately they do not yet offer the detailed street layer data, so
when you zoom in you will see green dots representing the GNAF address
file geocode points.

## Reverse Geocoding
click on the map and it geocodes the lat/lon into a popup.

## Geocoder
http://imaptools.com:8080/demo/imt-geo-australia.php

The geocoder is also integrated into the map, enter the address and
click [Go]. The geocoder is built on a modified version of the postgis
address_standardizer2 extension. I'll be checking in the remaining
changes into postgis when I have a chance. The latest and greatest is
always located here [1]. I have added a couple of diagnostic tools to
help understand how the address standardizer is working and to make it
easier to evaluate how to make changes to the lexicon and grammar as you
develop them for a specific data set. The address standardizer comes
with sample lexicon and grammar data for about 20 countries.

[1] https://github.com/woodbri/address-standardizer

If anyone has some time and interest, I would love to get a C++
developer to code review the address standardizer, especially with an
eye toward improving performance.

If you have questions, feel free to contact me on/off list.

-Steve W

---