HDF import to Postgis raster

Brent Wood-3

Hi postgis users!!

I'm exploring the option of importing HDF grids into Postgis, ideally to serve as WMS via Mapserver.

Never having used PG Raster before, or Mapserver to serve them, I figured I'd ask for advice here first!

The HDF files can be read by GDAL, so I'm assuming an ETL bash script could do the upload easily enough.

I've been serving WMS from Postgis vector data for several years now, so should be able to figure that out. I'd prefer to use WMS than WCS if possible, I'm not sure what the ramifications are.

Any advice, comments, examples gratefully received!

Thanks,

Brent Wood

Brent Wood

Programme leader: Environmental Information Delivery
NIWA
DDI:  +64 (4) 3860529

Brent Wood
Principal Technician - GIS and Spatial Data Management
Programme Leader - Environmental Information Delivery
+64-4-386-0529 | 301 Evans Bay Parade, Greta Point, Wellington | www.niwa.co.nz
NIWA
To ensure compliance with legal requirements and to maintain cyber security standards, NIWA's IT systems are subject to ongoing monitoring, activity logging and auditing. This monitoring and auditing service may be provided by third parties. Such third parties can access information transmitted to, processed by and stored on NIWA's IT systems.

Re: HDF import to Postgis raster

Tom van Tilburg-2
Brent,

It is generally a better idea to serve your raster from a filesystem instead of postgis. Postgis only makes sens if you want to query on your raster data (i.e. give me the number of cells containing water within distance K of point X), otherwise it only gives needless overhead.

Another option is to look at RASDAMAN (http://www.rasdaman.org/). I haven't looked at it for a long time but it serves raster data from postgres at lightning speed. Also, it is closer to HDF storage.

Best,
 Tom