Docs broken for other languages

12

Docs broken for other languages

George Silva
Hello all,

I know I haven't been helping as I should regarding documentation and our migration from Transifex, but we've managed to translate all of the strings for pt-br.

We just tried to download the compiled PDF and access the HTML, but it's not there.

We are getting 404's for all other languages. Examples:

* http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/postgis-es.html
* http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/postgis-br.html
* http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/postgis-ja.html

The process of building the docs is disabled for foreign languages?

How can we help?

George

--
George R. C. Silva
Sigma Geosistemas LTDA

Re: Docs broken for other languages

Regina Obe-2

George,

I've built the es and br.  I think I had turned things off because I was having issue with kr and ja tripping things up and didn't get around to troubleshooting.

Strk,

Did we ever setup Debbie to automatically pull from transifex.  I think I had installed the client and that you might have had something in shell scripts to pull the file, but can't remember.

Re: Docs broken for other languages

Sandro Santilli-3
On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 06:03:51PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

> Did we ever setup Debbie to automatically pull from transifex.  I think I had installed the client and that you might have had something in shell scripts to pull the file, but can't remember.

make -C doc pull-tx

But I'm not sure we want bots to do that automatically as after confirming
the translations work (make -C doc html-localized pdf-localized) the pulled
changes should be committed to the repository.

--strk;

Re: Docs broken for other languages

Regina Obe-2

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 06:03:51PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

>> Did we ever setup Debbie to automatically pull from transifex.  I think I had installed the client and that you might have had something in shell scripts to pull the file, but can't remember.

> make -C doc pull-tx

> But I'm not sure we want bots to do that automatically as after confirming the translations work (make -C doc html-localized pdf-localized) the pulled changes should be committed to the repository.

> --strk;
Agreed. How about you do that?  Ideally I'd like the 2.3  and 2.4 docs up to date before I do the 2.3.2 release in a couple of days.

I think I can at least build some of them without issue like all the latin based languages.

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 03:11:04PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

> > On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 06:03:51PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:
>
> >> Did we ever setup Debbie to automatically pull from transifex.  I think I had installed the client and that you might have had something in shell scripts to pull the file, but can't remember.
>
> > make -C doc pull-tx
>
> > But I'm not sure we want bots to do that automatically as after confirming the translations work (make -C doc html-localized pdf-localized) the pulled changes should be committed to the repository.
>
> Agreed. How about you do that?  Ideally I'd like the 2.3  and 2.4 docs up to date before I do the 2.3.2 release in a couple of days.

Done in trunk:
r15300 = 8e3bbcac4e659fdbe861806bb58b90a2b7ec4e8b (refs/remotes/trunk)

I don't know how branching works (if at all) with transifex so I'm hesitant
to do it with 2.3 branch, can you try that one, having more daylight ?

> I think I can at least build some of them without issue like all the latin based languages.

make html-localized worked fine in trunk here, after pull-tx.

--strk;

Re: Docs broken for other languages

George Silva
Thanks Regina.

@strk: for what I know the docs are only updated on transifex when the changes hit the svn-trunk branch, correct?

Is there anything we can help in these proceedings?

Thanks again, to both :D.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 08:31:39AM -0200, George Silva wrote:
> Thanks Regina.
>
> @strk: for what I know the docs are only updated on transifex when the
> changes hit the svn-trunk branch, correct?

George: you know Transifex better than I do, so please find out and
let us know :) --- note I'm still happy to switch from transifex
to weblate if you're up for championing that
(https://weblate.org/en/hosting/)

> Is there anything we can help in these proceedings?

Maybe improve doc/po/README with the recommended workflow
for updates, in both branches and trunk ?

--strk;

Re: Docs broken for other languages

George Silva
Regarding the README, I'll separate sometime for that.

Regarding the weblate/pootle thing: I need to confirm with my associates if we still can provide the server. The ideal thing is to talk to osgeo to see if they have a spare webserver for that. There are many projects that could use the same resource instead of using transifex. I'll take that to the osgeo list. If they provide the server, we can customize the auth, so it will look at osgeo's LDAP and provide some maintenance.

Now, for what I can see, the resources are pointing to svn-trunk.

@Regina, I took a look at the generated docs, and it looks like they are built from another branch, not svn-trunk. I can tell that because pt-br has the highest number of strings translated and a number of them are not translated.

Perhaps you generated the docs from the master? How are PostGIS branches organized these days btw?

Thanks!

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 08:31:39AM -0200, George Silva wrote:
> Thanks Regina.
>
> @strk: for what I know the docs are only updated on transifex when the
> changes hit the svn-trunk branch, correct?

George: you know Transifex better than I do, so please find out and
let us know :) --- note I'm still happy to switch from transifex
to weblate if you're up for championing that
(https://weblate.org/en/hosting/)

> Is there anything we can help in these proceedings?

Maybe improve doc/po/README with the recommended workflow
for updates, in both branches and trunk ?

--strk;

George R. C. Silva
Sigma Geosistemas LTDA

Re: Docs broken for other languages

Regina Obe-2

George,

I generated it from trunk.  It might have been before strk committed his changes though, so I'm regenerating.

Looks like strk committed his changes at 15300

And the

Br one for example is http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/postgis-br.html  r15296

So  I think it just missed his commit.

Anyway should be rebuilt in about 15 minutes.

Regarding the README, I'll separate sometime for that.

Regarding the weblate/pootle thing: I need to confirm with my associates if we still can provide the server. The ideal thing is to talk to osgeo to see if they have a spare webserver for that. There are many projects that could use the same resource instead of using transifex. I'll take that to the osgeo list. If they provide the server, we can customize the auth, so it will look at osgeo's LDAP and provide some maintenance.

Now, for what I can see, the resources are pointing to svn-trunk.

@Regina, I took a look at the generated docs, and it looks like they are built from another branch, not svn-trunk. I can tell that because pt-br has the highest number of strings translated and a number of them are not translated.

Perhaps you generated the docs from the master? How are PostGIS branches organized these days btw?

Thanks!

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 08:31:39AM -0200, George Silva wrote:
> Thanks Regina.
>
> @strk: for what I know the docs are only updated on transifex when the
> changes hit the svn-trunk branch, correct?

George: you know Transifex better than I do, so please find out and
let us know :) --- note I'm still happy to switch from transifex
to weblate if you're up for championing that
(https://weblate.org/en/hosting/)

> Is there anything we can help in these proceedings?

Maybe improve doc/po/README with the recommended workflow
for updates, in both branches and trunk ?

--strk;

George R. C. Silva
Sigma Geosistemas LTDA

Re: Docs broken for other languages

Regina Obe-2

Okay it seems the BR build is erroring out.  I think it built earlier before the latest commit by strk.

Strk you said they all built fine locally for you right?   So I guess maybe we don't have something set up right on Debbie.

Strange though that japan built okay http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/postgis-ja.html which is one I thought I would have problems with.

Es and IT also built okay –

This is what I get for BR

Anyone know what this means:

/usr/bin/xsltproc --novalid ./xsl/postgis_aggs_mm.xml.xsl postgis-out.xml > postgis_aggs_mm.xml
installation.xml:568: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: para line 565 and ulink
> para um exemplo de problema resolvido configurando com este. NOTA: que você n
 ^
installation.xml:568: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: listitem line 564 and para
arregador GUI que ainda não está documentado e permanece experimental.  </para
                                                                               ^
installation.xml:569: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: varlistentry line 559 and listitem
                 </listitem>
                            ^
installation.xml:570: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: variablelist line 393 and varlistentry
               </varlistentry>
                              ^
installation.xml:583: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: sect2 line 369 and variablelist
          </variablelist>
                         ^
installation.xml:607: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: sect1 line 318 and sect2
        </sect2>
                ^
installation.xml:1465: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: chapter line 2 and sect1
  </sect1>
          ^
installation.xml:1639: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: para line 1634 and code
> onde  <filename
 ^
installation.xml:1641: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: sect1 line 1624 and para
> é a pasta root para o seu pcre incluso e lista lib.</para>
                                                             ^
installation.xml:1684: parser error : chunk is not well balanced
        </sect1>
        ^
installation.xml:1684: parser error : chunk is not well balanced
        </sect1>
        ^
postgis-out.xml:210: parser error : Failure to process entity installation
  &installation;
                ^
postgis-out.xml:210: parser error : Entity 'installation' not defined
  &installation;
                ^
using_postgis_dataman.xml:547: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: para line 544 and ulink
>, <ulink url="http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4269/"
 ^
using_postgis_dataman.xml:553: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: sect2 line 527 and para
TM  são as mais ideais para medição, mas só cobrem 6-graus regiões.  </para
                                                                               ^
using_postgis_dataman.xml:682: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: sect1 line 511 and sect2
        </sect2>
                ^
using_postgis_dataman.xml:2118: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: chapter line 2 and sect1
  </sect1>
          ^
using_postgis_dataman.xml:3060: parser error : chunk is not well balanced
</chapter>
^
using_postgis_dataman.xml:3060: parser error : chunk is not well balanced
</chapter>
^
postgis-out.xml:212: parser error : Failure to process entity using_postgis_dataman
  &using_postgis_dataman;
                         ^
postgis-out.xml:212: parser error : Entity 'using_postgis_dataman' not defined
  &using_postgis_dataman;
                         ^
using_raster_dataman.xml:28: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: para line 25 and ulink
>. Por favor, note que o raster2pgsql python script  pode não funcionar com ver
 ^
using_raster_dataman.xml:29: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: note line 24 and para
></note>
 ^
using_raster_dataman.xml:29: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: sect2 line 13 and note
></note>
        ^
using_raster_dataman.xml:523: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: sect1 line 5 and sect2
    </sect2>
            ^
using_raster_dataman.xml:562: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: chapter line 2 and sect1
  </sect1>
          ^
using_raster_dataman.xml:1099: parser error : chunk is not well balanced
</chapter>
^

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 04:00:16PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

> Strk you said they all built fine locally for you right?   So I guess maybe we don't have something set up right on Debbie.

Uhm, I just tried again and indeed I get the same problem as you.

> /usr/bin/xsltproc --novalid ./xsl/postgis_aggs_mm.xml.xsl postgis-out.xml > postgis_aggs_mm.xml
> installation.xml:568: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: para line 565 and ulink
> > para um exemplo de problema resolvido configurando com este. NOTA: que você n
>  ^
> installation.xml:568: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: listitem line 564 and para
> arregador GUI que ainda não está documentado e permanece experimental.  </para

Tag mismatch, this is one of those cases in which I could try to fix
locally but then upon "make push-tx" I could override the work others
have done between the time I pulled and the time I'll push.

How should we deal with these cases George ?

Contact BR translators (Last-Translator put in Cc) ?

--strk;

Re: Docs broken for other languages

George Silva
Hello all.

Indeed there is an error on the translation.

I'll setup the make machinery here so se can pull and build It.

Transifex should have complained about that att the moment of translation, not build time.

Disable the pt generation for now while I check everything?

Sorry about that.

Thanks

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 07:17:44PM -0200, George Silva wrote:

> Transifex should have complained about that att the moment of translation,
> not build time.

Does Transifex allow you to define a command to run to check translations ?
In this case is this kind of snippet here that corrupts the text:

    eferir-se ao ticket ulink url="http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/748"
    >http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/748</ulink

As you can see the "ulink" tag is missing the opening bracket, should be:

    eferir-se ao ticket <ulink url="http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/748"
    >http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/748</ulink

But I dunno how could Transifex know it's an XML...

--strk;

Re: Docs broken for other languages

George Silva
Transifex, last time i checked counted and identified some special words, like urls, few indicators of snippets , etc. Then, if you forgot them, it would give a warning (you can just proceed).

I remember clearly to complaint about missing tokens.

Looks like there is only a few errors. I'll check with Poliana.

I'll see if we can resolve this by tomorrow.

Em 30 de jan de 2017 7:25 PM, "Sandro Santilli" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 07:17:44PM -0200, George Silva wrote:

> Transifex should have complained about that att the moment of translation,
> not build time.

Does Transifex allow you to define a command to run to check translations ?
In this case is this kind of snippet here that corrupts the text:

    eferir-se ao ticket ulink url="http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/748"
    >http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/748</ulink

As you can see the "ulink" tag is missing the opening bracket, should be:

    eferir-se ao ticket <ulink url="http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/748"
    >http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/748</ulink

But I dunno how could Transifex know it's an XML...

--strk;

Re: Docs broken for other languages

George Silva
I think these are only two error that have been fixed on transifex. One on installation.xml and the one on user_raster_dataman.

Nevertheless, I'm installing the toolchain here so we can test it out.

The steps here are loosely these?

1. Clone
2. pull from tx
3. make html-localized

Thanks

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 01:29:02PM -0200, George Silva wrote:

> I think these are only two error that have been fixed on transifex. One on
> installation.xml and the one on user_raster_dataman.
>
> Nevertheless, I'm installing the toolchain here so we can test it out.
>
> The steps here are loosely these?
>
> 1. Clone
> 2. pull from tx
> 3. make html-localized

Yes, with 2 having a makefile target too (pull-tx)
and both 2 and 3 to be done under doc/

--strk;

Re: Docs broken for other languages

George Silva
Hey Sandro,

Can you share a little wisdom?

I already have been able to clone it and to pull from tx. I pulled from tx using the transifex client directly, not using the make tool.

I can't run make html-localized.

george@winterfell ~/projetos/postgis/doc $ make html-localized
make: *** No rule to make target 'html-localized'.  Stop.

george@winterfell ~/projetos/postgis/doc $ make pull-tx
make: *** No rule to make target 'pull-tx'.  Stop.

I'm a little green with makefiles :D

Thanks

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 04:02:19PM -0200, George Silva wrote:

> george@winterfell ~/projetos/postgis/doc $ make html-localized
> make: *** No rule to make target 'html-localized'.  Stop.

> george@winterfell ~/projetos/postgis/doc $ make pull-tx
> make: *** No rule to make target 'pull-tx'.  Stop.

Did you run ./configure from the top-level dir ?
You'd get that message in absence of a Makefile
(which is generated by ./configure from Makefile.in)

> I'm a little green with makefiles :D

First step is *having* a Makefile, see if you can get there :)

--strk;

Re: Docs broken for other languages

George Silva
I needed to run ./autogen first, then the ./configure file showed up.

Now I have run configure.

The pull-tx command is running again, just to be sure. (I used the same command that is described in the makefile, but..)

After that let's see if I can run make html-localize :D

Thanks

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 04:02:19PM -0200, George Silva wrote:

> george@winterfell ~/projetos/postgis/doc $ make html-localized
> make: *** No rule to make target 'html-localized'.  Stop.

> george@winterfell ~/projetos/postgis/doc $ make pull-tx
> make: *** No rule to make target 'pull-tx'.  Stop.

Did you run ./configure from the top-level dir ?
You'd get that message in absence of a Makefile
(which is generated by ./configure from Makefile.in)

> I'm a little green with makefiles :D

First step is *having* a Makefile, see if you can get there :)

--strk;

George R. C. Silva
Sigma Geosistemas LTDA

Re: Docs broken for other languages

George Silva
Good news. We are up and running the new docs.

I have to install gnome-doc-utils to use the po2xml util.

I guess that we do need some work on the readme with this. I'll try to add this to the docs readme.

Are we accepting PRs on github?

George

--
George R. C. Silva