DoD, Coast Guard, Intelligence Agencies

Paul Ramsey
Refractions is preparing an information submission to the US Federal
Government about open source GIS software. Among the things they want to
know is the numbers of licences sold, prices, etc in the DoD, U.S. Coast
Guard, and the Intelligence.

Well, as an open source product, we have some issues maintaining these
numbers, so I have to call out to you: if you have installed, or know of
an installation, of PostGIS in the above agencies, would you privately
drop me a line? Responses kept in strictest confidence.

This is a chance to get on the radar screen at an official level, and
hopefully drive some acceptance of open source spatial in some large
organizations.

Thanks very much,

Paul

Re: DoD, Coast Guard, Intelligence Agencies

Richard_D_Levine
Hi Paul,

Is there any possibility of publishing this report to the list?  If not,
can you tell who the contracting agency is so I can request a copy through
proper channels when it is complete?  I could really use this as a selling
point to some of my DoD, MoD, other government folks.

Thanks,

Rick

[hidden email] wrote on 05/26/2005 03:09:50
PM:

> Refractions is preparing an information submission to the US Federal
> Government about open source GIS software. Among the things they want to
> know is the numbers of licences sold, prices, etc in the DoD, U.S. Coast
> Guard, and the Intelligence.
>
> Well, as an open source product, we have some issues maintaining these
> numbers, so I have to call out to you: if you have installed, or know of
> an installation, of PostGIS in the above agencies, would you privately
> drop me a line? Responses kept in strictest confidence.
>
> This is a chance to get on the radar screen at an official level, and
> hopefully drive some acceptance of open source spatial in some large
> organizations.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Paul

Re: DoD, Coast Guard, Intelligence Agencies

pscott
On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 13:09 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Refractions is preparing an information submission to the US Federal
> Government about open source GIS software. Among the things they want to
> know is the numbers of licences sold, prices, etc in the DoD, U.S. Coast
> Guard, and the Intelligence.

Do the South African Government Agencies count?

--Paul

Re: DoD, Coast Guard, Intelligence Agencies

Paul Ramsey
Not to the US government, unfortunately. Maybe if it was the
military, military installations seem to get more respect.

On 26-May-05, at 10:53 PM, Paul Scott wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 13:09 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>> Refractions is preparing an information submission to the US Federal
>> Government about open source GIS software. Among the things they
>> want to
>> know is the numbers of licences sold, prices, etc in the DoD, U.S.
>> Coast
>> Guard, and the Intelligence.
>>

> Do the South African Government Agencies count?
>
> --Paul

Re: DoD, Coast Guard, Intelligence Agencies

Paul Ramsey
It's an RFI, not a report, but I can certainly provide copies of
portions of it to people when it is written up.

Paul