Cost weighted distance raster

Spencer Gardner-2
I'm looking to work with PostGIS raster to complete some network analysis using a cost raster surface. I came across this GSOC project from 2012 which was supposed to create functions to accomplish this:

Does anyone know the status of this work? I don't see the functions in the reference documentation for PostGIS so it would appear this work has not been folded into the main project. The bottom of the GSOC report includes code to create new functions for Euclidean and Cost-Weighted distance, so I'm assuming I can just add those to my DB. Can anyone confirm that these functions work as expected?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Spencer

Re: Cost weighted distance raster

Pierre Racine-2

Hi Spencer,

I don’t know if they are still compatible with the newest PostGIS version.

They used to work fine but don’t expect very good performance.

Pierre

Re: Cost weighted distance raster

Spencer Gardner-2
> Hi Spencer,
> I don’t know if they are still compatible with the newest PostGIS version.

> They used to work fine but don’t expect very good performance.

> Pierre
Thanks, Pierre. Did all that work stagnate? Have there been efforts to incorporate into the main PostGIS code? Just curious to know what happened. It would be a shame not to provide such useful functionality if there has already been substantial work done.

My alternative at the moment is GRASS, which I've not found to be terribly flexible for incorporating into a larger workflow.

Spencer

Re: Cost weighted distance raster

Pierre Racine-2

Hi Spencer,

Integrating something in the main PostGIS core is hard work. That’s why I started the PostGIS Addons: to quickly gather PLpgSQL-only functions into an easy to install .SQL file. Why I did not integrate those functions in the Addons yet? Lack of time, not much work involving PostGIS since a while, not sure the code is working properly.

Did you get time to test it? If it work fine, I might take time to add it to the Addons before FOSS4G 2017.

Pierre

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Pierre Racine <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Spencer,

Integrating something in the main PostGIS core is hard work. That’s why I started the PostGIS Addons: to quickly gather PLpgSQL-only functions into an easy to install .SQL file. Why I did not integrate those functions in the Addons yet? Lack of time, not much work involving PostGIS since a while, not sure the code is working properly.

Did you get time to test it? If it work fine, I might take time to add it to the Addons before FOSS4G 2017.

Pierre

That makes sense. I don't see a master .sql file to use for adding the functions to the database. The GSOC proposal I linked to previously has code for the Euclidean Distance function, but not for the Cost-Weighted Distance function. Is there a single .sql file somewhere that I can use to create both functions? I'd love to take a look and see if I can get them both working.

Re: Cost weighted distance raster

Pierre Racine-2

There is no .sql. just copy the functions into a .sql text file and execute.

Re: Cost weighted distance raster

Spencer Gardner-2
I didn't see any code for the Cost Distance function, only the Euclidean Distance. Did I miss something? Or is it located on a different website that I haven't found?

Thanks,
Spencer

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Pierre Racine <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is no .sql. just copy the functions into a .sql text file and execute.

Re: Cost weighted distance raster

Pierre Racine-2

In the code page :

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/PostGIS_Raster_SoC_Idea_2012/Distance_Analysis_Tools/code

There is a ST_CostDistance() function.

Pierre

Re: Cost weighted distance raster

Spencer Gardner-2
Ah thanks. Didn't see the code page. I'll let you know whether these work as is or if they need tweaking.