Columnname GEOMETRY

Uwe Dalluege
Hi,

I have a problem with the columnname "GEOMETRY".

When I do this:

create table point ( NR int4 );
select AddGeometryColumn ( 'dbgeo', 'point', 'GEOMETRY', 0, 'POINT', 3 );
insert into point ( nr, GEOMETRY ) values ( 100, GeometryFromText ( 'POINT
( 100.0 200.0 10.3 )', 0 ) );
select * from point;

I receive the errormessage:
ERROR:  column "geometry" of relation "point" does not exist

But this works:

create table point ( NR int4 );
select AddGeometryColumn ( 'dbgeo', 'point', 'geometry', 0, 'POINT', 3 );
insert into point ( nr, geometry ) values ( 100, GeometryFromText ( 'POINT
( 100.0 200.0 10.3 )', 0 ) );
select * from point;

Is there a different between the columnname "GEOMETRY" and "geometry"?

Uwe

Re: Columnname GEOMETRY

xanadont
Are you sure the column name is "GEOMETRY" (uppercase) and not
"geometry" (lowercase)?  You have to take an extra step when creating
a table to make anything uppercase - by default Postgres forces
everything to lowercase.  It's a matter of:

CREATE TABLE foo
(
  "GEOMETRY" int4
)

instead of

CREATE TABLE foo
(
  GEOMETRY int4
)

-Abe

On 5/27/05, Uwe Dalluege <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with the columnname "GEOMETRY".
>
> When I do this:
>
> create table point ( NR int4 );
> select AddGeometryColumn ( 'dbgeo', 'point', 'GEOMETRY', 0, 'POINT', 3 );
> insert into point ( nr, GEOMETRY ) values ( 100, GeometryFromText ( 'POINT
> ( 100.0 200.0 10.3 )', 0 ) );
> select * from point;
>
> I receive the errormessage:
> ERROR:  column "geometry" of relation "point" does not exist
>

> But this works:
>
> create table point ( NR int4 );
> select AddGeometryColumn ( 'dbgeo', 'point', 'geometry', 0, 'POINT', 3 );
> insert into point ( nr, geometry ) values ( 100, GeometryFromText ( 'POINT
> ( 100.0 200.0 10.3 )', 0 ) );
> select * from point;
>

> Is there a different between the columnname "GEOMETRY" and "geometry"?
>
> Uwe

RE: Columnname GEOMETRY

Uwe Dalluege
Hi Abe,

yes I am shure. I think the problem is the
function AddGeometryColumn ( ).
Please try it out and let me know if it works on you installation.

Best regards

Uwe

> Are you sure the column name is "GEOMETRY" (uppercase) and not
> "geometry" (lowercase)?  You have to take an extra step when creating
> a table to make anything uppercase - by default Postgres forces
> everything to lowercase.  It's a matter of:
>
> CREATE TABLE foo
> (
>  "GEOMETRY" int4
> )
>
> instead of
>
> CREATE TABLE foo
> (
>  GEOMETRY int4
> )
>
> -Abe
>
> On 5/27/05, Uwe Dalluege <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a problem with the columnname "GEOMETRY".
>>
>> When I do this:
>>
>> create table point ( NR int4 );
>> select AddGeometryColumn ( 'dbgeo', 'point', 'GEOMETRY', 0, 'POINT', 3 );
>> insert into point ( nr, GEOMETRY ) values ( 100, GeometryFromText (
>> 'POINT
>> ( 100.0 200.0 10.3 )', 0 ) );
>> select * from point;
>>
>> I receive the errormessage:
>> ERROR:  column "geometry" of relation "point" does not exist
>>

>> But this works:
>>
>> create table point ( NR int4 );
>> select AddGeometryColumn ( 'dbgeo', 'point', 'geometry', 0, 'POINT', 3 );
>> insert into point ( nr, geometry ) values ( 100, GeometryFromText (
>> 'POINT
>> ( 100.0 200.0 10.3 )', 0 ) );
>> select * from point;
>>

>> Is there a different between the columnname "GEOMETRY" and "geometry"?
>>
>> Uwe

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Uwe Dalluege

Hochschule fuer Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg
- University of Applied Sciences -
Fachbereich Geomatik
Rechenzentrum
Dipl.-Ing. Uwe Dalluege   :-)
Hebebrandstr. 1
22297 Hamburg
Tel.: +49 40 42875 - 5335 oder 5353 oder 5313
Fax:  +49 40 42875 - 5409
E-Mail: mailto:[hidden email]